11 September 2009

Introducing ourselves ...

Knit2tog – (Knit two together) – that’s the name of our knitting group. The group has been together for over two years now, meeting regularly on a Wednesday afternoon, during the school term. We meet in Ruth’s home in Exeter, Devon - neighbours and friends. Our group has both men and women of all ages and our abilities and experiences knitting-wise are as varied as our ages.

We come from all walks of life – retired teachers, a doctor's wife, Bowen/NST therapists, trainee counselor, working with Age Concern, the stage, an internet business woman and pensioners.

We don’t just knit for the enjoyment of it, but also support a children's school and day centre in a displacement camp in Northern Uganda. We contribute voluntarily each week, and this goes towards the ‘Uganda Fund’. Annually, there is a sale of knitted items and the proceeds go towards the day centre.

Recently,we were able to send a box of items for the school/day care centre when 'Tools With a Mission', (see link TWAM), gave us a cubic metre of space in a container of theirs going to East Africa. I believe the items have now arrived. When we get a picture, I shall post it on the blog.

As this blog proceeds, hopefully you will get to know more about us and what we get up to.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sue and fellow knitters!

    OOOOOoooooo what fun we had! I was karmic-ally and creatively enriched by all the textures and innovative ideas enveloping me!

    I bought unspun undyed wool that is so huge that you have to knit it with your arms. I bought a felting kit and fluffy yarn, softy softy merino (to knit some strange drape-y creation - I bought a pattern). I bought needles as big as broomsticks and 3 balls of 'salvage edge material' - to make a large bag to carry all my knitting in, I think I will line it with red velvet. I bought hand blown glass buttons and and and.... oh I am so excited... I have so many wonderful creations to make.

    AND knitting is therapy; it is conversation and moments, intimacy and sharing, exploration and innovation, sharing of ideas and up-skilling, life stories and lots of laughter, listening and being listened to; in essence, it is community.

    Thank you to Sue for creating this Blog - hurray!

    And I raise my cuppa' tea to all you k2 p2 slp stick brigade - keep doing what you do, you do it beautifully.

    hugs all round
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete